10 questions to ask your wedding vendors before booking
From bouquets to bubbly, let the planning begin! You know booking a great venue is essential and surrounding yourself with awesome vendors such as a caterer, planner, DJ, and photographer is very important. Lucky for our local brides there are plenty of wonderful vendors to choose from (view our preferred list here). But how do you choose who is right for you? For the majority, this can raise a lot of questions.
It can be a little overwhelming, but no need to retreat under a blanket and get lost in your next binge-worthy TV show. We have your back and that big scary P word (planning) will be shown who’s boss. You got this!
Below are top questions that apply to every wedding vendor
1. Do you have my date available? Or what is your availability for my month?
2. Do you have liability insurance?
Why ask- This will protect you from unforeseen incidents and accidents, for example, Uncle Ted tripping and pulling down the DJ’s whole sound system (sorry Uncle Ted). Another example is a photographer’s camera falling into the lake. In either of these scenarios, you won’t be held responsible for damages, the vendors will be covered and reimbursed. Whew, that’s a relief!
3. Do you have an inventory of décor (lighting, candle holders, vases, etc.) we can borrow from? Any items I cannot bring, open flames etc.?
Why Ask- You can save money and time by using the vendors you already booked to help you with décor. This can also give them a leg up against the competition. On the other hand, it may be crucial to know your venue doesn’t allow sparklers or fireworks when you’re thinking of this as your grand exit!
4. How many weddings do you book in one day?
Why ask- This will give you an idea of your vendor’s availability throughout the day or tell you if another couple will be saying their “I dos” in the same building as you. If so, you will know what that means for your big day.
5. Do you have any minimums?
This is directed to your costs and will give you a great idea of the minimum you will need to spend on a vendor’s services to be able to book them. Once you know the starting point, you can then negotiate custom packages.
6. What’s the tax and service charge?
Why ask- Stay informed on any fine print and additional costs that will be added to your bill, this will help you, (dare we say it?) stay on budget!
7. Have you ever worked with my other vendors before?
Forever Bridal Tip: Great relationships between all your vendors can make things go more smoothly. Great relationships can also turn into great collaboration leading to more welcomed ideas and set a great mood for your wedding day.
8. If my wedding site is out of your area, do you charge a travel fee and what does that cover?
9. How much of a deposit do you require and when is it due? Do you offer a payment plan?
10. What is your refund/cancellation policy?
Why ask- If for any reason you must change your date, venue or in the event of inclement weather, ask your vendor what your options are. Furthermore, ask them what their backup plan is if they fall ill or unable to attend, ask who will step in.
**This is where wedding insurance is crucial. With most wedding vendors you will lose your deposit if you have to cancel or reschedule.
Now it’s your turn. Before you say “I do” to your vendor ask yourself these questions:
- Do I feel a connection with them? Are we a good match, do they understand my vision?
- Do I like their work and feel comfortable with their communication style?
- Has this company/person listened well and addressed all my concerns?
At the end of the day, this is about you and your special someone! For more questions for each individual vendor, free downloadable worksheets and exclusive planning tools click here.